January 2014 Busy Month for Arts and Culture

January 2014 was an invigorating month: we imbibed as much art and culture as our time allowed, and barely hit a nano nth of what’s out there…  We attended The Whipping Man (Curious Theatre), The Legend of Georgia McBride (Denver Center), literary readings by Kathryn Winograd (Denver Woman’s Press Club) from her new book, Phantom Canyon (Conundrum Press, Publisher), and black odyssey (Denver Center). Visited the Colorado History Museum. Continued reading a prepublication manuscript of Kathryn Winograd’s book. Planned to teach more sessions of art, theater, and writing workshops for kids and adults at locations in SoHa. Collaborated with Cheri Karo Schwartz on our Jewish theater project, OY!Improv. Added to my ThumbPrintPlayArt™ portfolio.

What was so invigorating were the ideas thrown in my face so passionately that I had to take time to process what I’d heard and felt. The Whipping Man made me wonder about motivation and ask, “what drives supposedly sane people to do violence upon others?” Stated so simplistically here because I have barely begun to tackle that one. The Legend of Georgia McBride  made me laugh and cheer for those who have the drive to find a way to meet their dreams and needs and emerge with positive energy enough to go around. “Ah, that’s what it sounds like,” was my response to hearing Kathryn Winograd read her own work. I had planned to finish reading a prepublication manuscript of her book before her reading, but the more I read the more I needed to be in a place where there were no distractions. Not while waiting for the optometrist, not while watching tv. Kathryn’s writing demanded my full attention. At first I heard her voice as I read, then I heard my own voice entwined with hers. So when I heard her read there was yet another voice; there’s always another voice when an author reads his or her work. That’s a good thing most of the time because a good reading adds another, even more robust level to the experience. And there’s still another level to be experienced – when I interview Kathryn later this month (February 2014). Stay tuned for the results.


 SoHa Colorado Musings is produced by...

Popular posts from this blog

Museum of Outdoor Arts | Final Days of Natura Obscura

Littleton Museum "Own an Original" Exhibit Showing Until 12/28/2019