Another Fun Day as an Artist

It’s always flattering to be included in a group of high caliber talent. Yesterday, Thursday, March 6, 2014, I had that opportunity at the Arapahoe Community College Writers Studio event: From Page To Stage To Pixel To Beyond: Or "So I Wrote It--Now What Do I Do?!" Writer and ACC Writers Studio Program Manager, Kathryn Winograd assembled the crew: Film Maker Coleen Hubbard, Stories on Stage Producer/Director Anthony Powell, and Flash Fiction Monster Opera Writer and ACC Writing Instructor Nancy Stohlman, and myself.

I quickly responded, “I do,” when Kathryn asked us, “who wants to go first?” There was no way I could follow those acts! So there I was doing applied improv for a roomful of writers. I used a game I had invented that morning – SLA – Story Line Assistance. I asked for a volunteer to suggest a character that was giving him or her trouble. No takers. Writers can be quiet people. I picked (on) a writer I know – so happens (pun intended) that she was one of my improv students and a writer. She played. She described her character. I thanked her. I picked (on) another audience member; a writer and the husband of another of my students. He played. He described his character. And then I asked them to be their characters. In a park. To have a conversation as their characters. They did. It worked. Everyone got it. You can use improv techniques to help when you’re stuck with a character. It was enjoyable.

And so was listening to and learning about Coleen, Anthony, and Nancy.

Detailswww.arapahoe.edu/departments-and-programs/a-z-programs/writers-studio/page-stage-pixel-beyond-or-so-i-wrote-it-now

Thank you, Kathryn, Coleen, Anthony, and Nancy. Thank you all who attended, especially Mollie and Rudy – who played along. And especially, Chris, my husband who claims to have no artistic abilities. And, yes, although I’ll believe anything as an improv artist – I have trouble believing that.


SoHa Happenings in Colorado 
produced by...                       reported by...
      Pam Roth O'Mara

Popular posts from this blog

Local artists at Roxborough Arts Gallery

OY!Improv Spontaneous Creativity for Teens April 14

2020 Color of the Year: Pantone Blue